Tuesday 29 January 2013

Chapter sixty one

Adam

“You need to breathe, man. There’s nothing we can do at the moment.”

Jason was pacing the small area of the lobby, his mind on overload. Adam had just finished telling him about the conversation he had had with Morgan and Jason was not taking it well.

“I need a cigarette.” Jason said.

“You haven’t smoked for three months.” Adam reminded him.

“I also haven’t had a vindictive bitch try to paint me as… well… a vindictive bitch.”

“In fairness, you probably have. You just didn’t know about it.” Adam said.

Jason stopped his pacing and threw Adam a glare. “Not helping.”

“Sorry.” Adam said, throwing his hands up. “I just thought you were doing so well without the cigarettes. Besides, you were all ‘I’ve been given this chance, I don’t want to screw it all up by getting cancer.’”

“Screw the cancer. I’m stressed, I’m going.”

“Fine.” Adam gave in.

He was just about to follow Jason to the garden when he spotted Christiana come out of the clinic.

“Give me a second,” He said to Jason and headed over to her before Jason could object.

“Christiana.” He called out.

She turned to see him. She looked stressed. Her hair was dishevelled and all over the place. She was pale and her mind seemed pre-occupied with something or other.

“You okay?” Adam asked, suddenly concerned.

“What? Oh yeah, it’s just been one of those days, that’s all.”

She started looking around the room, tutting her irritation at not finding what she was looking for.

“How’s Daniela?” Adam asked. “I heard she came out yesterday.”

“She’s not good,” Christiana said. “But then, that’s to be expected. If Kelly stops being a pushy cow, we might be able to help her. However, the likelihood of that is pretty small.”

“What’s she done now?”

“Oh nothing I want to go into now.” Christiana said. “Look, I have to go. I have to find Connor, I need to talk to him. You haven’t seen him, have you?”

“Nope.” Adam said. “I would have thought you two would be attached at the hip after last night.” He tried really hard to keep the bitterness out of his voice, although he appeared to be unsuccessful because Christiana was now looking at him curiously.

“We got separated when I went to talk to Daniela.” She answered. “Although, he’s managed to make good use of the time apart, once again finding new and exciting ways to piss me off.”

“Oh great, so we’re back to hating him again today?” The words were out of his mouth before he could activate his brain and he immediately regretted them.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Christiana asked.

“Nothing.” Adam said, beginning to move away. “I’ve got to get back to Jason, I’ll speak to you later.”

“No, don’t say something like that and just move away.” Christiana snapped. “Explain what the hell you meant!”

Adam sighed. “It’s just, your mood swings are confusing the hell out of me.” He said. “One moment we hate Connor, and quite rightly so, because he completely abandoned you, and the next thing I know your sucking face with him in front of everyone as if nothing has happened.”

“Sucking face? What are we, 8 years old?”

“You know what I mean.”

“What’s it to you, whether I forgive my boyfriend or not?” Christiana asked.

“Nothing, except you’ve made me listen to it non-stop for the last few months.”

“Well I’m sorry for being such an inconvenience. I had no idea that I annoyed you so much.”

“It’s not that, it’s just… ah, never mind. I can’t be arsed with this.”

“You know what? Neither can I. I have a mountain of things to sift through in my mind and I need to find Connor.” Christiana snapped. “Don’t worry, next time I have a problem, I’ll be sure to leave you out of it.”

“Sounds good to me.” Adam snapped back and stormed off in the direction of a gaping Jason.

He grabbed hold of Jason’s arm as he reached him and power walked them both to the garden.

“Freakin hell, Ad.” Jason said. “Looks like I’m not the only one pissed at the world this morning.”

“Tell me about it.” Adam said, through gritted teeth. “Any chance I could join you in a cigarette?”

Jason pulled out his pack and handed Adam one, without questioning it. They both sat on a bench, puffing away and reeling over their individual arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment