Thursday 13 December 2012

Chapter thirteen

Christiana

“Please slow down Christie.” Connor said, taking the drink out of her hands.

Christie gave a playful pout but let him take the drink out of her hand.

“Is this how it’s going to be now?” She said. “Now I’ve said that I’m your girlfriend, you’re going to be all bossy and tell me what to do?”

“Babes, you out of anyone will know how much I love you drunk.” Connor said. “It is usually very beneficial for me. However, you have just had a head injury, was unconscious and are probably now suffering from a concussion. As such, although drinking alcohol has had good connotations in the past, I’m not looking at risking your life just to get you more frisky. That’s what I now do as your boyfriend.”

“Oh boo to you and all your sweet words.” Christiana said.

Connor laughed and kissed her forehead. “Just promise me that you’ll take care of yourself. I’ve kind of got a little fond of this body.”

“Fine. I’ll try and stay alive.” Christiana said in a sing song begrudging tone.

“Good girl.”

A crash came from behind her and she saw Adam’s limp body give in to the drink from where he sat.

“At least I’m not as drunk as Adam Gammon.”

“I don’t think anyone in the world is as drunk as Adam Gammon.”

“Oooh! Guess what?” Christiana said. “Adam Gammon asked me to kiss him... twice!” She jumped up and down like a school girl. “Can you believe it? The Adam Gammon asked me.”

Connor laughed. “You do know that now that we are dating, you’re not allowed to actually kiss him right?”

Christiana waved him away. “I know, I know, but still! How awesome is this going to be telling people at work about this in the morning?"

Christiana’s face fell as she remembered that she probably wasn’t going to be going to work in the morning. The images of earlier in the day and their journey here came flooding back to her and she flipped through them all in her mind; Trees on fire, burning sun, people screaming, fear, unending fear for herself, for Connor, the fear that she wouldn’t see him again after that door shut behind her, the murkiness of her consciousness as she felt it slip away from her, waking up in that white room. Something was up, something big. The fear that crept in at that moment was so crippling that Christiana shut her eyes tightly, willing the memories away and opened them again, focusing them on Connor, who was now looking at her concerned.

“You okay?”

She nodded.

“Weird day.” She said

“I know.” Connor said.

Someone new was in the room. The bitchy manageress from before. She was still carrying her ridiculously over the top smile and clasping together her overly manicured hands.

“Ms Davids?” She said in a low voice to Daniela who was a few feet from her.

“Yes?” Daniela said.

“I was wondering if we might be able to borrow you for a moment.” The woman said.

Daniela looked incredibly put out by this. She was talking to Duncan and, from the looks of it, he was using all of his best moves on her.

“Can’t it wait?” Daniela said. “I’m a little busy at the moment.”

The woman just smiled even more. “I’m so sorry, but it can’t I’m afraid. Please follow me.”

“Go on,” Duncan said. “I’ll be here when you get back.”

Connor’s hand was at Christiana’s waist at this point and he gave it a reassuring squeeze. She looked quizzically at him, he just smiled back, his face looking calm but his grip on her waist was too tight.

Daniela sighed and gave Duncan her glass. “Fine, where are we going?”

“If you’d like to follow me, Katie is outside and will help to explain things a little better.”

Daniela gave one more sneak look towards Duncan and seemed to pout as she left the room. Duncan smiled back at her, the moment she had left however, his face became full of concern. He turned to Connor and nodded towards him, motioning him over. Connor gave Christiana’s waist another little squeeze.

“I’ll be back in a moment.” He whispered, and kissed her forehead.

Christiana looked around for someone else to talk to but, other than the passed out movie star, found no one. She sat back down next to him, picked up her drink and, out of sheer boredom, downed the remaining contents of the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment